Decorative fountains and waterfalls for summer cottages
Each summer resident wants his plot and garden to be the most original and beautiful. The installation of small architectural forms and statues will help to draw up an adjoining zone. But also modern decorative fountains for summer cottages can ennoble the courtyard. There are many models that differ in design, installation method and appearance. Therefore, before installing a fountain or waterfall, it is recommended that you carefully study their main characteristics and the rules for selecting the best options. Also, a decorative fountain can not only be bought, but also made with your own hands. This will help you step-by-step instructions for making an artificial pond from improvised materials. A simple assembly scheme and useful tips for selecting the main and additional equipment will allow you to easily make a beautiful fountain and equip an unusual recreation area in the country.
Types of Fountains
According to the number of knocked out water jets, single and multi-threaded models are distinguished. At the same time, they can be equipped with a pump, and can work on a mechanical principle by “squeezing” water upward due to the pressure difference between the three connected containers. By type and number of issued jets distinguish the following fountains:
|Vertical||Model with a water jet knocking out in the center.|
|Circular||It includes one bowl, along the perimeter of which several jets of water are knocked out.|
|Cascading||It is a model in which water flows from the upper bowl to the bottom. Runoff is carried out according to the type of waterfall (not from different sides, but only from one).|
|Layered||It is similar to cascading, but the transfusion of water between different bowls is carried out evenly from all sides.|
|Statue-shaped||Equipped with a decorative statue (jugs, animals, people), performing the role of an unusual nozzle.|
|Mini fountains||Compact in size.|
By design, the fountains are cup-shaped (they are equipped below with a bowl-pan in which water accumulates), open (represent a platform from which jets are knocked out) and frame (the bowl is easy to assemble and disassemble).
Submersible fountains include fairly simple units. These include a pontoon, pump and fountain nozzle. To install such models, it is only necessary to place the entire unit in an equipped pond and connect the device to the power supply. Additional equipment for them are the backlight and the anchor, eliminating the constant movement of the pontoon. Also, to mask the fountain pontoon can be equipped with special nozzles that generate fog around the structure. The advantage of this type is the cheapness, ease of installation and the absence of special requirements for the pond in which they are placed. In addition, submersible units are mobile: they can easily be moved to another reservoir or removed for storage for the winter.
For the safe connection of a submersible fountain, it is imperative to take into account the rules for insulating wires.
Stationary fountains are much more expensive than submersible. They are a combined unit, including a pump (which will be immersed in a reservoir), a fountain nozzle protruding above the water. Typically, the height of such units is not more than 40 cm. But for high-quality and long-term operation of the apparatus in a "bottomless" film pond, installation of a special stand (for example, made of concrete) is required. This requirement is due to the greater power of stationary models.
In addition, it is necessary to ensure the supply of pipes for supplying and pumping out water, which will be laid at the bottom of the equipped reservoir or connected to it. Models can be supplemented with lighting, equipped with one permanent nozzle or allow the change of nozzles. Commonly used to create a vertical, cascading or multi-tiered fountain.
The fountain of the waterfall type can be attributed to a separate category. In it, the water supply is carried out not in the form of jets, but in the form of flat streams flowing along multi-level ledges, or simply flowing out of a wall or a statue. Such objects can have large dimensions or be placed in a remote corner of the park. Due to the neat design and simplicity, the settings are ideal for installation in a summer cottage.
An important requirement for such models is the special operating conditions of the installed pump: it must produce a large flow of water at low pressure. Such a scheme is directly opposite to the characteristics of the pumps chosen to equip ordinary fountains. In addition, in the bowl itself, where the flow of waterfall water flows, pipes can be separately drawn to create several small fountains (with a jet height of about 20-30 cm) of a vertical or circular type.
If you have enough time and enough money, laying out the fountain bowls in the country can be done from brick. To do this, you need to dig a pit, make a monolithic foundation and build walls of brick. Additionally, you need to protect the walls from exposure to water. But you can also make a country fountain with your own hands and quite inexpensively, using improvised materials. Work is carried out in the following master class:
- A pit breaks out to fit the size of the used tank.
- The capacity is installed in the pit.
- Waterproofing of a home-made bowl is carried out (it is possible with the help of a film).
- The pump is installed.
- The film is decorated around the container (for example, with stones or special mats for platforms near pools). If necessary, the reservoir itself is decorated: you can make lighting, install a statue or a special nozzle on the pump.
When choosing the location of a country fountain, the following criteria should be considered:
- remoteness of buildings: drops of water carried down by the wind on the walls of farm buildings or houses will damage the facades. Therefore, it is recommended to have a pond in a distance of at least 2 meters from the buildings.
- illuminated area during the day: constant exposure to sunlight will lead to the need for frequent cleaning of the reservoir due to the active appearance of greenery, blooming water.
- the presence of living trees and shrubs: the constant entry of leaves or branches into the bowl of the fountain will entail its unsightly appearance and the need for constant removal of trash.
The best option would be the location of the reservoir in the center of the open area, which in the morning and afternoon will be protected by shade from trees or the house. Thus, the fountain will be easily visible from any part of the yard and will retain its pristine appeal.
Choice of bowl or capacity
If the independent construction of the fountain allows for the availability of purchased products, and not just improvised means, then the right decision will be to purchase a finished bowl. They are made of concrete, can have various shapes, sizes. Capacities that are suitable for use as a budget bowl include:
- barrel: an old plastic barrel can be sawn and used as a bowl itself. A wooden barrel with waterproofing inside can be an original addition for installing a pump and supplying water from it in a steady stream (this design is called the “bottomless barrel”).
- plastic basins, bowls: perfect for the budget installation of the fountain, but it is recommended to remove them for the winter (they may burst from frost).
- old bathtub: having insulated the drain / overflow system, you can get a reliable, durable bowl (you won’t have to dig it out for the winter).
Pump - selection and installation
The quality of the installed fountain directly depends on the characteristics of the selected pump. There are models of the following types of equipment:
The device is installed in the maximum proximity to the reservoir. A hose departs from it to the pond to create jets and streams. It is characterized by economical energy consumption, easy to maintain (due to the "outdoor" placement). True, it produces strong noise and therefore must be mounted in a soundproofing box + must be hidden to maintain the attractiveness of landscape design.
Located directly under water. They have higher performance, but their maintenance is a rather long procedure: before removing the block, it is necessary to completely drain the reservoir. It features a simplified installation: it should be placed on a rigid platform made of concrete or plastic.
The pump selected for the fountain should deliver a small volume of water under high pressure.
|Jet height (cm)||For bell type (capacity, l / h):||For cascade type (capacity, l / h):||For the type of geyser (productivity, l / h):|
Decor and accessories
Filters can be installed as useful auxiliary equipment for the fountain in the country house. They are mandatory when arranging a waterfall, since debris entering the pump will lead to its rapid breakdown. But the original decorative additions include:
- Indoor lighting: suitable for large park-type fountains with a deep bowl pan.
- Outdoor Lighting: There are many solar-powered and 220V models installed around the pond. They can look like animals, disguise themselves as stones or plants.
- Mills: with the right flow direction, it starts the blades and causes them to rotate. There are also full-fledged mill fountains for summer cottages.
- Fog generator: creates a beautiful haze above the surface of the reservoir (can be equipped with LED lighting).
- Floating and fixed plastic decor: ducks, lilies and artificial plants will help to decorate any fountain in an original way.
It is quite simple to equip the original fountain at the cottage with your own hands, knowing all the nuances of assembling the structure and selecting the main and additional equipment. First of all, it is recommended to study data on the types of existing fountains, their differences and features. This will help to correctly select the necessary elements for the assembly of the original design. The finished fountain can have the dimensions of a conventional interior element (small models installed in houses) or have overall dimensions, complemented by numerous nozzles. At the request of a beautiful fountain summer residents can do it yourself from scratch. To do this, you will need to study the above instructions and follow it exactly when assembling the structure. To highlight the created waterfall or fountain, you can plant different plants and flowers around it. But you can also decorate the design itself with any objects: floating decoration from plastic, statues or living aquatic plants.