Decor in Provence style +75 photos of DIY decoration ideas
Light flowing fabrics, delicate floral patterns, sophistication of a vintage patina - Provencal motifs in the interior will not leave indifferent any guest at home. Each needlewoman who likes simple but sophisticated echoes of country can make an original decor in the Provence style with her own hands. Decorated products using decoupage technique, artificially aged furniture, hand-painted kitchen utensils and soft tilda toys will help create a unique atmosphere of French comfort in the room.
Provence style story
Provencal current originates in the eponymous southeastern French province in the XV-XVII century.
Features of climate and nature, life and mentality of local residents, economic development have made this style recognizable far beyond the borders of their historical homeland.
The abundance of sunlight contributed to the rapid fading of bright colors, which is why in the Provence style soft and discreet pastel shades are so popular. The development of pottery also contributed to the general canons of decoration. Floral patterns, among which a special place was occupied by a rose, gradually became an adornment of not only ceramics, but also other household items.
Roughly plastered walls of houses of Provencal villages have a special charm and serve as a wonderful backdrop for authentic decor elements. The provincial simplicity and lack of pompous gloss made the French variety of country universally demanded not only in country houses, but also in urban apartments of modern megalopolises.
Features of the design of the premises in the Provence style
The interior based on the French country is recognizable due to its distinctive features:
- Wooden or forged furniture lacks an abundance of detail. The vintage appearance of the headset can be emphasized with your own hands, additionally treating the surface;
- Pastel colors and the dominance of light shades visually make the room even more spacious. Large and not cluttered rooms are also a “hallmark” of a rustic style;
- Visible brick or masonry carry a special aura, dipping owners and guests of the housing in the light and laid-back atmosphere of a picturesque village on the Cote d'Azur;
- When decorating a home, the emphasis should be on antique products: porcelain, landscape paintings, vintage furniture. Linen covers for furniture, homespun carpets, light curtains with floral prints and other textiles are also the main elements of an authentic French trend.
Provencal style decor
Most of the decorative elements for a Provencal house interior can be made with your own hands. Master classes by experienced needlewomen allow you to learn step-by-step to make unusual decorations, which organically fit into the decoration of a small kitchenette and a spacious living room.
Textiles play a special role in the Provence style. Light translucent curtains of batiste, satin and cotton, lace napkins, decorative pillows decorated with embroidery, fabric kitchen accessories help recreate the authentic style of ordinary residents of a sunny French village.
Porcelain and earthenware products painted in the style of classic Provencal patterns also serve as an excellent way to diversify and decorate a simple laconic design. Opt for exquisite figurines, services with floral ornaments and ceramic flower pots. In addition to the abundance of roses, images of cute cockerels, which are considered the patrons of the French province, will be appropriate.
Window decoration in country style
Windows and their appearance play a special role in the premises, the decoration of which is created in the style of Provence. The room, styled in the spirit of the French country, needs an abundance of light, so you should opt for a light tulle and translucent curtains. Unobtrusive floral patterns should decorate the curtains. Particularly advantageous will be the option of the interior, in which the print of textile products is repeated with a pattern on the wallpaper.
You can decorate your curtains yourself with the help of elegant lace and ribbons. With a lace frill, you can decorate the bottom of the curtains.
Organically diversify the decoration of the room will help flowers placed in authentic ceramic pots. Not only familiar indoor plants will remind of proximity to nature. On the kitchen windowsills, the emerald bushes of basil, delicate lavender or fragrant rosemary, which are so popular in Provence, will elegantly look.
The abundance of textiles is one of the features of the Provencal theme in the interior. Many colorful accessories can be made independently by making a decor element both from scratch and decorating ready-made objects.
For the kitchen, sets of oven gloves and towels are indispensable. You can decorate these household items with ribbons, lace and embroidery. The latter finds its rightful place on any woven product:
- throw pillows;
The main theme of images for embroiderers is flowers, fruits and household items. When choosing a pattern for embroidery, pay attention to the drawings depicting roses, lavender twigs, bouquets of spring flowers and cute wreaths of inflorescences. You can decorate with a graceful pattern do-it-yourself pillow, clothes for a soft tilda doll.
In addition to the usual embroidery with stitch or cross, the technique of embroidering with ribbons is gaining more and more popularity. This type of creativity allows you to create spectacular volumetric paintings with which you can decorate the walls.
Patchwork is another way to decorate a room. Blankets and bedspreads, kitchen gloves, panels and even carpets - in this technique you can make a real masterpiece of needlework, which will serve as the center of composition of the whole room.
Decorative details in the spirit of Provence
The leading role in the Provencal interior is played by objects with history and “soul”. Family values are especially important for the French. This feature is reflected in the unique country style: it is safe to use touching photographs of household members framed in wooden frames.
Figurines and other products from porcelain are also an integral part of the Provencal decor. When choosing dishes, it is worth paying attention not only to the ornament, but also to the state of the glaze. Many manufacturers of modern services specially produce collections with peculiar cracks that imitate the venerable age of household items.
Provence welcomes the abundance of natural materials. Original caskets and utensils made of wood, simple and laconic shelves, forged candlesticks and chandeliers, a monolithic fireplace will give housing a light fleur of a rustic atmosphere.
Provencal style wall decoration
Room decoration in the style of the French country begins at the stage of repair. The surface of the walls is the main background for other decor, so the decoration of the room should be carefully worked out.
To recreate the interior of a house from a distant picturesque village, do not hide the brickwork under numerous layers of decoration materials. Stone and brick fit organically into the Provencal design and complement its sophisticated simplicity.
If you plan to wallpaper the walls, opt for natural options for this finish. Paper wallpapers in pastel colors with floral patterns will decorate the authentic interior and will not look intrusive and catchy. Jute-based fabric wallpapers also gently complement the Provence-style interior. But it is better to refuse fabric variations on the basis of silk: a similar finish will give the room an extra gloss and inappropriate pomposity.
Furniture in the style of Provencal country is simple and devoid of bulky elements. Forged furniture can complement wooden furniture, organically complementing the noble natural material.
But the main feature of furniture in the spirit of Provence is its age. Antiquity or imitation of long years of operation remain the main requirement for a headset.
How to age furniture
Wooden furniture can be artificially aged using paints, stains and brushing techniques. The last method is to remove soft wood fibers with special metal brushes. After this treatment, the surface is covered with colorful wormholes. Such furniture can be additionally coated with paint or varnish.
Brushing is only suitable for oak, ash and larch products.
To age furniture with paint you will need:
- at least two shades of water-based paint;
- wood stripping tools;
- sandpaper and brushes;
Wood processing takes place in several stages.
- Disassemble the product and unscrew all accessories from it;
- Remove old varnish and paint;
- On a cleaned dry surface, apply a shade of paint that will not be dominant;
- After the first layer dries, paint the tree with a basic shade;
- After the second coating layer has dried, treat the furniture with sandpaper, carefully sanding those places that should look vintage;
- After that, remove dust and paint residues and coat the surface with a layer of varnish.
Upholstered furniture is also suitable for artificial aging. It is quite simple to alter it by choosing unevenly colored leather and any other materials imitating the headset's long service life for upholstery.
Painting and painting furniture
Acrylic paints are suitable for coloring and painting furniture. To breathe new life into an old interior item, it is not necessary to have the talent of an artist, because you can apply a graceful floral pattern in the Provencal style with a stencil.
- If necessary, treat large chips with wood putty. To preserve the vintage look, this stage of preparation can be skipped;
- Sandpaper the entire surface of the headset with fine sandpaper. This is necessary to create a rough layer that fully absorbs the primer;
- Degrease the surface of the furniture and apply a layer of acrylic primer;
- After drying with a roller, apply acrylic paint, the shade of which will serve as the main background of the product. To get an interesting texture, apply the paint with a narrow brush, making strokes at different angles;
- After the base color dries, apply the desired pattern to the furniture and cover the product with two layers of yacht varnish.
Decoupage remains one of the most popular techniques for decorating interior items among fans of vintage motifs. With it, you can decorate both a miniature wooden box in the Provence style, and large furniture, which will become a harmonious component of the interior in the spirit of the country of medieval France.
For the artificial aging of furniture, there are several techniques for decoupage equipment.
- Coating furniture with craquelure special varnish imitates the exquisite patina effect on the surface;
- A variety of decoupage powders allow you to create soft shadows. This technique will help those who plan to perpetuate various images or even photos on a wooden surface;
- Special pastes and gels, tools and stencils make it possible to play with textures, giving the areas a special relief and patterned texture;
- Gilding with acrylic or spray paint allows the subject to add a touch of refinement that does not deprive the interior of simplicity and unobtrusiveness.
Decoupage technique on large surfaces using plastic film
Transferring decoupage napkin elements to large surfaces often causes difficulties even for experienced craftsmen. A large piece of paper may not wrinkle aesthetically, which significantly reduces the decorativeness of the product.
But to overcome these difficulties, there is a small trick that allows you to easily move the napkin with the help of a film. For these purposes, even a clerical file or a large package is suitable:
- After all the preparatory work, cut off a piece of polyethylene corresponding to the size of the element to be carried;
- Peel off the top layer of the napkin and place it on the polyethylene face down;
- Dampen a napkin with water, if necessary, straighten it with a brush.
- Taking a piece of polyethylene by the corners, place a wet towel on the surface to be decorated.
- Gently smooth the paper through the film.
Thanks to polyethylene, the napkin is easily straightened by hands without the risk of deformation, and the film itself easily lags behind the paper. After transferring the element in this technique, you can apply glue for decoupage and follow the usual stages of decoration.
Master class: do-it-yourself chest decoupage
For decoupage chest of drawers in the Provence style, polished or oil-painted furniture is not suitable. A similar interior item will require additional processing. The old coat of paint or varnish must be removed with a grinder and covered with primer.
- Remove the accessories, treat the dresser with sandpaper and cover it with acrylic paint in white or pastel shade in two layers with a brush or roller;
- Cut the necessary elements from special wipes while the paint dries. Separate the topmost layer of the napkin;
- After the acrylic layer has dried, place the image on the surface of the dresser and apply decoupage glue to the drawing, working with a brush from the center to the edge of the element;
- The borders of the glued picture can be further treated with special powder to create a smoother transition;
- After the glue dries, cover the dresser with two layers of varnish;
- Install the fittings.
Mirror or picture frame design
A wooden frame in the Provence style for a painting will become an integral part of the interior, capturing the eye no less than the work of art itself. The original frame can be supplemented with family photos and a mirror for the hallway.
To make a non-trivial decor item you will need:
- the frame itself, completely rid of paint and varnish;
- acrylic paints of several colors, among which there will be a basic white or gray;
- paraffin candle;
- brushes, gloves to protect hands and a hairdryer to speed up drying of paint layers.
After preparing the necessary materials, you can begin to work.
- Apply base paint to the entire surface of the frame.
- After drying the main coat of paint, paraffin the areas that should look vintage. Wax will help to easily remove unnecessary layers of paint without damaging the base.
- Apply a few more layers of paint in different shades, each time waiting for complete drying.
- Using large emery paper, remove excess layers of paint, then clean the frame from dust and cover with two layers of varnish.
Such a frame for a picture will organically fit into the interior, because in the process of its creation you can use only shades suitable for the existing design.
New life of kitchen utensils
Old dishes can sparkle with new colors and fit perfectly into the interior. Even items from different services can be combined into one Provencal collection using common elements of decoupage decor: flowers, fruits, letters of the same font.
Decoupage of dishes is carried out according to the same principles as decoupage of furniture. But when decorating ceramic and glass products, it is worth paying more attention to degreasing the surface. This is necessary so that the paper decor is firmly held and does not give in to deformation.
You can decorate dishes with the help of the remnants of paper wallpaper.
Instead of napkins, use flowers and wallpaper patterns, carefully painting the borders of the paper and the product with acrylic paint. Decorated in a similar manner, the service will ideally fit into the interior of the kitchen, because it will completely echo the wall pattern.
A simple and fresh interior, complemented by a Provence style decor, remains one of the most popular types of decoration for touching and romantic natures. The charm of the flow lies in the details, the most spectacular of which you can create with your own hands.