Decorative plaster in the interior
Decoration of rooms with stucco is a trend in interior decoration of recent decades. From the material for adjusting the walls (starting preparation for painting / gluing), this method of decoration has turned into the final finishing version. Decorative plaster in the interior is a type of independent universal decoration.
The addition of mineral stone chips, wax, polymers to the composition of the plaster mix allows you to create artistic wall panels and mimic expensive decor, giving the room a unique look. For the opportunity to reproduce the original stylistic flavor of the interior space, designers also appreciate it.
Decorative plaster is a special genre of interior design skill.
The scope of use of stucco wall decoration is wide.
- Decoration of premises: residential, office-administrative, technical.
- Facade finish.
The compositions used have various characteristics depending on the conditions of subsequent operation.
- Mixtures for interior work - have natural components in the composition, are environmentally friendly and harmless.
- Compositions for external use are weather and moisture resistant, but contain unsafe special additives that add exceptional characteristics. Not used for indoor use.
- Universal - combine the positive characteristics of the first two types: environmentally friendly + especially resistant to changes in humidity and temperature. The dwelling is used for decoration of non-residential premises: bath / shower rooms, bathrooms, kitchens. The special additives contained in them with protective properties are environmentally friendly, but increase the cost of the stucco mixture.
Wanting to protect yourself from unpleasant surprises, before acquiring the composition, find out if it matches the intended use.
Repair should bring joy.
Properties of plaster mixes
The advantages of this type of finish are much greater than the disadvantages.
- Not demanding on the impeccability of the foundation of the walls (it is enough to prime the surface to be coated).
- Owns camouflage (hides wall imperfections) and sound or heat insulation properties. There are varieties of decorative plaster, specially used as sound insulation and insulation.
- It is easy to apply, accessible to beginners (with the exception of a special type of finish - Venetian plaster).
- Creates a seamless seamless plane without splitting the decorated wall surface into visible parts.
- Eco friendly. When applied, dried, used does not emit toxic substances.
- Resistant to: fire, ultraviolet, moldy.
- Outward appeal. With an unbelievable variety of textures and colors, plaster in the interior is able to imitate the surface: stone, wood, textiles (silk, gunny, burlap, etc.), leather, fantasy images (for example, compositions with clouds, flowers).
- It can be restored (it is easily fragmented restored).
- It is steady before claws of pets ("wall-paper silently takes off a hat").
- Allows walls to “breathe” thanks to their porous structure.
- Can be wet cleaned or vacuum cleaned at home.
- Stylistically appropriate in any interior (from the stylization of antique to urban hi-tech).
A few cons:
- Applying decorative plaster is time-consuming and sometimes expensive (as is the case with the expensive "Venetian").
- It is impossible to avoid the "wet" and "dirty" stage of work.
- It is relatively difficult to dismantle an existing high-quality coating (if this is necessary).
- In case of violation of the formulation of the composition or technology of its application, the result may be of poor quality.
Adhering to the recommended algorithm for preparing and applying the plaster mixture, you minimize the risk of fragility of the decorative coating.
Varieties of interior plaster
Classification according to the characteristics of the binder base or fillers
Type of decorative plaster
|Strength||Durability||Elasticity||Wear resistance||Vapor permeability||Fire resistance||High cost||Requires authorization||Requires mastery when applying|
Mineral fillers (fibers, stone chips, quartz, etc.) are added to Portland cement / lime / gypsum.
Polymer, ready for application in water-dispersion dilution. This mixture of acrylic resins is easily tinted with pigments.
At the heart are plastic-silicone resins. Ready to use. It bends and stretches.
At the core is an expensive quick-setting "liquid" glass.
Classification by type of decor
This is the name of decorative plaster, which creates a relief structure on the wall due to the inclusion of various granular masses - wood fibers, cellulose, quartz, pebbles, mica and other solid particles. The relief is created only due to the filler without the use of special tools - textured spatulas and special rollers.
It is fine and coarse. The larger and deeper the relief created by it (the coarser the filler), the greater the consumption of the mixture will be needed per unit area to be covered.
Among the structural “celebrities” of the decor are the bark beetle stucco in the interior, the rain, diagonal and vertical, and the lamb.
It can vary in binder and can be of 4 types (previously described in the table).
This finish imitates the texture of various materials using decorative plaster with fillers (see paragraph 1 above) and special tools. Their role can be played by textured rollers / spatulas, as well as improvised tools adapted for this purpose (brushes, brushes, plastic bags). On a connecting basis there are four main types (see table).
Textured wall decoration with plaster of complex composition (lime, marble powder, gypsum + wax and polymers) using a special mirror spatula. This type of finish, which imitates a polished cut of expensive stone (malachite, marble), is several hundred years old, although the demand for the “Venetian” does not fall today. Distinguished by the complicated technology of applying layer by layer and their subsequent polishing, the very appearance of the finish is synonymous with sophistication, luxury, and well-being.
A relatively young way of decorative decoration. With a certain interval on the wall are applied:
- adhesive acrylic layer (using a roller or brush);
- flock fragments fired by a pistol - acrylic flakes;
- the fixing layer is again acrylic varnish.
This decor is energy-consuming, time-consuming, technologically challenging and expensive (requires special equipment).
It is similar in technology to flock (being rather a decoration than a stucco in the traditional sense). Instead of acrylic flakes, polyester + artificial or natural silk fibers are used. Also known as "liquid" wallpaper.
Plaster mix on the basis of white Portland cement. It is used to make believable three-dimensional imitation of stone. With such decorative plaster it is easy to "depict" brickwork, rubble stone, etc. It can be applied in a layer of 8 cm thick. Thanks to polymer additives it is very plastic, does not slip from the wall. Stiffening, it is likened to “cold welding”, filling before this microcracks and voids in the wall.
- "Warm" energy-saving
The addition of a special filler to the mineral standard base (Portland cement) - polystyrene foam in the form of granules, expanded vermiculite, sawdust or perlite powder - not only decorative but also thermal insulation characteristics of the mixture.
Features of use in a modern interior
Decorate the living room
The purpose of the main room in the house is to create a welcoming atmosphere for communication. When working on its interior, remember that the largest surface that needs to be finished is the walls. Without needing separate protection from temperature extremes or excessive humidity (like in a bathroom / shower or kitchen), without high wear resistance requirements (like in a hallway / corridor), the living room wall decoration can be very sophisticated and have no choice restrictions.
Prefer a smooth finish ("Venetian") or embossed - the choice is yours. Measure - compliance with style and design intent.
The plaster decorative panel on the main wall of the room will give a special uniqueness to the living room. Despite the complexity, time and energy costs, such a design element will not be able to repeat exactly anywhere. The uniqueness of the decoration of the living room is guaranteed.
Stages of creating a relief panel
- Surface priming;
- Background formation;
- Drawing a sketch;
- Layered build-up of the volumetric pattern (using spatulas, artichokes, brushes, etc.);
- Smoothing sharp reliefs and carefully sanding them;
- Painting and development of the picture;
- Glazing followed by accented drawing of bright places;
- Finishing primer and (if necessary) varnishing.
The masterpiece of wall painting is ready.
Use in the bedroom interior
Since during rest and sleep a person is not particularly protected, the main criterion for choosing wall decor in the bedroom is:
- environmental friendliness;
- color expediency;
- textured compatibility with the interior.
A room designed to bring peace and quiet can be finished with all materials, taking into account the above requirements.
Wall decoration in bathrooms
Choosing the option of wall decoration in the wettest rooms, the main selection criterion is the moisture resistance of the decorative plaster and its vapor permeability. Less attention should be paid to porous, embossed surfaces, and unconditional preference should be given to walls covered with water-repellent compounds:
- “Venetian” (having a mineral base, this mixture is equipped with a wax film as a protective layer).
Moisture-resistant surfaces have a peculiar technology of applying decorative mixtures:
- Multiple preliminary primer;
- Special thorough grouting-ironing;
- Drying the plaster for 3 days.
In addition to hassle-free care, the ability to color these mixtures (or paint in a variety of shades) makes them applicable in any stylistic and design environment. The main condition is that they resist moisture in the form of water and fumes.
Kitchen wall decoration
In addition to high humidity, the decor of the kitchen should have a good resistance to temperature changes. Heat resistance and fire resistance are additional requirements to the ability to repel moisture in any form. Otherwise, there are no restrictions: the "Venetian", decorative panels, structural and textured options - all under the power of modern kitchen design in a style variety from antique to hi-tech.
Gaining more and more popularity in design circles, much is subject to this type of decor:
- Hide, mask and decorate existing inappropriate:
- wall defects;
- the presence of structures (columns, beams, openings) that do not fit into the desired design.
- Protect from troubles affecting other types of finishes in the form of:
- high humidity;
- temperature differences.
- Give originality and uniqueness to the finish. It is impossible to find an exact copy of the decorated wall even within the same room!
- It goes well with other types of finishes: wallpaper, stone or brickwork, wooden lining. The main thing is to agree on the color / texture and subordinate to the style of the design.
- With the right color scheme, visually push the boundaries of the room.
- With a small financial investment, create a unique design (especially if you do not involve professional masters in the decoration, but master this segment of decoration yourself by trial and error).
Trial and error
Wanting to test yourself as a master in plaster decoration, the mixture can be prepared independently, taking as a basis:
- starting putty (gypsum of a favorite brand) 3 parts;
- pre-sifted sand 3 parts;
- adhesive composition (1 part) or PVA diluted with water.
After mixing thoroughly, pre-apply the mixture with a spatula on the primed surface, randomly giving subsequently the desired texture with one of the available tools:
- with a brush;
- a stiff brush;
- crumpled polyethylene;
- a hand in a rubber glove;
- foam sponge;
- textured roller.
Satisfied with the result obtained, the relief should be sanded after drying (removing sharp edges) and painted in several layers using glaze and highlighting of the protruding parts of the relief.
The road will be overcome by a walker!